On 25-26th of September, dig up the classic yet sinister roots of the world’s largest Georgian planned town on a self-guided walking audio tour, with an architectural designer as your narrator. The tour is location aware, so you will hear directions and stories as you move.
You can claim your free tour with a very secret code: opendoor. How do you use it? See instructions for downloading the tour. A limited number of copies is available, so snap yours up quick! You will have secured your tour only once you’ve downloaded it. We hope you enjoy our new format, and if you do, please leave us a review!
Architecture of Money : Edinburgh New Town Audio Tour
On this audio tour you’ll learn how Edinburgh became the largest planned town development in the world – and a “model city”. The narrator will share old maps and drawings with you.
Although its original Georgian fabric has suffered many alterations, the tour will show you clear traces of the former neoclassical city. You’ll see the often overlooked details in the fanlights and elegant ironwork of the original New Town street lights.
On this route full of breathtaking landscapes, you’ll dive into the economic and political influence of the union between Scotland and England.
Along the way, you’ll discover:
- What inspired the designers of the New Town?
- To what extent were the New Towners’ fortunes connected to slavery?
- Why was so much of the now listed Georgian New Town demolished?
- Why won’t Edinburgh clean its blackened sandstone facades?
This is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace. You will need at least 1.5h to complete it.
- This tour starts outside the City Chambers on Royal Mile, 253 High St, Edinburgh EH1 1YJ.
- This tour ends in Stockbridge Market.
- Moderate activity level.
- Some stairs and uneven surfaces en route.
Downloading your audio tour
Each participant will need a smartphone and earphones. The tour is downloadable on a free mobile app VoiceMap – you will need to install this app to play the tour. It’s all very easy, promise!
- On your smartphone, install VoiceMap application from the Apple App Store or Google Play
- Create an account
- Select Tour Codes from the menu, then select Enter Codes
- Enter the code opendoor and then select Download Now. If the code does not work, it means free copies are finished. We will update this page when the offer is sold out.
Please also note:
- It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point, especially if you do not use 4G connection.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
Remember to fully charge your smartphone and bring your earphones.
If you ever get stuck for some reason, please let us know. The best way to reach us is by email at email@example.com. We respond as quickly as we can.
Finally, while this tour is created by a local, we don’t always know about sudden road works or business closures. This is hardly ever a problem, but if it becomes one for you, please get in touch and tell us. We’re passionate about our tours, and it’s important to us that you enjoy your experience.
Want to tour other areas of Edinburgh? See our Old Town and Dean Village audio tours.
It is also possible to purchase audio tour gift cards for your loved ones.