Tour guide of historical walking tours focused on architecture
Flexible part time position in Edinburgh
Part time tour guide for small tourist groups, corporate, and study trip groups. Tours can last from 2 to 5h. Estimated work load to be about 3-6h/week (more in Summer). Tours happen on weekdays and weekends, all year round. This would be something you do on the side of your main income or studies. This work is ideal for Master or PhD students in Architecture/ Architectural History/ Architectural conservation, retired architects, freelancing architects, or someone with a background in architecture currently working part time in other industries.
- Architecture/ Architecture History/ Architectural conservation background. Has a minimum of undergraduate degree in one of these subjects.
- Fluent English. Fluency in French will be of great advantage.
- Very confident in public speaking.
- Friendly, polite personality with a sense of humour.
- Responsible and punctual.
- Passionate about Edinburgh, architecture, and history.
- Great memory.
- Knowledge of Edinburgh. Lived in Edinburgh for at least 1 year, ideally more.
- Able to work with flexible working hours and be available short notice.
- Available to start training in April (estimate of 10h a week depending on your background), and guiding from May. Absolutely must be available in August.
- In Edinburgh and able to guide for at least the next two summers from the time of commencing. This is not a summer only job.
Helpful but not essential
- Previous guiding experience is beneficial but training will be provided.
- Theatre or improvisation experience.
- Loud, projecting voice. Training for voice projection will be provided, but if you have a really quiet voice, this might be a struggle.
- Local to Edinburgh. However, do not worry if you are not from Edinburgh, tour script will be provided.
- Flexible hours can accommodate other activities such as another part-time job, freelancing, studies, travel, childcare. You will be able to control your own calendar of availability.
- You will learn a lot about Edinburgh.
- Spending time outdoors.
- Meeting educated travellers from all over the world.
- Friendly, supportive team.
- Performance based bonuses.